Hello book friends!
I decided in honor of getting my book of the month book today, I would talk a little bit about the pros and cons of this subscription. And before I start, I just want to say this is an unsponsered post!
So I started getting Book of the Month a little more than a year ago, and I only did it because I got 3 months free because your girl is on a budget. After my three months was up, I decided to keep it going and buy a year subscription because I loved it! If you aren’t familiar with this book subscription here are some details
- Your first book costs $10/ month and after that every purchase is $15/ month
- You can choose to pay monthly, or you can pay in increments of 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year.
- 3 months = $50
- 6 months = $90
- 1 year = $170
- Every month BOTM releases about 5 books for you to pick from. They usually try to cover a variety of genres, usually including a nonfiction, mystery, romance, contemporary, etc.
- From there you can either pick a book, or you can choose to skip this months. If you bought a few months subscription, and choose to skip that months then you just don’t use any book credits for that month.
- For example, I have a year subscription so I have 12 credits available to me. Let’s say I skipped the April book, then I would still have 12 credits going forward, i.e. 12 book of the months I still get to choose from and basically my subscription is extended one month. You can choose to skip as many times as you like.
- Let’s say you love more than one of the book of the month picks? No worries, you can just choose to purchase a second book with your BOTM pick and it only costs you $10! And, you can also pick from past books and add those on, it doesn’t just have to be from this month’s book of the month pick.
- Your box is then mailed to you in about 5-7 business days!
Now you might be saying, holy cow Kendyl $160 for a year is way too much money! But when you price it out, $15/ book for a brand new hardcover book is a really good deal! Most of the time these books are going for twice that in stores. That’s the reason I kept my subscription going, in a way it’s like I’m saving money by having it!
Another reason I really like BOTM is the book selections sometimes make me step out of my comfort zone. So many of the books I’ve read through BOTM I would’ve never picked out at the store, and yet I absolutely loved them!
The major downfall of this subscription is that it is a little bit pricey to pay all of that money at once. Especially if the books they are picking don’t end up being your cup of tea! Another disappointment I had with book of the month, is I wish they sent some cute bookish accessories with their box! I see some other subscription boxes that have like candles and bookmarks and that is just so cute. However, those subscription boxes are also a lot more expensive. Another thing I dislike is that all of their books have the BOTM tag on the spine 🙄. It kinda ruins my aesthetic. And the last critique I have of the BOTM is it rarely features young adult books, so if you primarily like YA I would honestly recommend you looks elsewhere for subscription boxes.
Anyways, that’s just my two cents about it! My BOTM pick this month is People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry! I loved her novel Beach Read, so am pumped for this book.
Let me know in the comments if you have a subscription box you love!